FINANCIAL REPORTING COUNCIL OF NIGERIA: SENSITISATION ON THE NIGERIAN CODE OF CORPORATE GOVERNANCE
Category :CORPORATE AFFAIRS
- Following the suspension of the old code of corporate governance in 2016, The Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria (FRC) developed the new Nigeria Code of Corporate Governance 2018. Using an Exposure Draft of the Code, the FRC needed to hold public hearings within the six geo-political zones of the country, and the Federal Capital Territory, in order to sensitize stakeholders and the public on the its content, and elicit comments and reactions which will be taken into consideration in finalizing the code.
- Develop public awareness campaign for achieving widespread acceptance of the code as well as provide media relations and publicity support to ensure buy-in and understanding of the code by stakeholders and the public.
- In partnership with the Chamber of Commerce in all the geo-political zones, public hearing events were held with the business communities in the regions.
- Media briefing sessions were organized with business and financial editors across print, online and electronic media across in all six geopolitical zones.
- FAQs, backgrounders and the Exposure Draft of the newly proposed code was syndicated to the stakeholders and the media. Digital media commentators were also engaged to intimate their followers on same key messages.
- A total reach of over 3 million.
- Positive commentary and acceptance of the code as being more flexible and favourable to Nigerian businesses, which was in line with the purpose of the code